Skip to main content

Some holiday decorating advice from Dr. Fulop

By November 28, 2012 Uncategorized

The holiday season is less than 4 weeks away! Please keep your pets in mind when decorating. Injuries can be caused by dogs and cats chewing on cords. Try to conceal the cords as much as possible. Ingestion of ribbon and tinsel, while not poisonous, can cause problems in the intestinal tract that may require surgical intervention – especially in cats.

Bright ornaments can also make your pet curious, and many animals will chew and swallow them. Place glass and paper ornaments high on the tree, and pick up any broken pieces, which can cut your pet’s mouth, throat and intestines besides presenting a choking hazard.

Holly, mistletoe, pine needles, poinsettias, Christmas cactus and even water from the tree can all pose serious problems, including vomiting, diarrhea, trembling, difficulty breathing, hallucinations, lethargy and even death. If you choose to have these plants in your home, place them high off the ground so your pets, cannot get to them.
I can certainly relate to this video of Simon – can you? Simon’s Cat Christmas Tree

All the best, Dr. Fulop.

Vets Blog 2012
Amberlea Animal Hospital serving Durham, Pickering, Ajax, and Whitby, Scarborough, and the GTA